When deciding what sport to enroll your child, consider Capoeira!
The benefits of Capoeira for kids are numerous! Just to mention a few:
- Physiological: which includes the increase of cardiovascular and respiratory efficiency;
- Physical: improvement of qualities like flexibility, strength, endurance, agility, balance and coordination;
- Psychological: improvement of self esteem, reduction of anxiety and tension, therefore reducing the risk of stress and depression;
- Cultural and Artistic exposure: introduce kids to a different culture and language; teach them Capoeira songs, and musical instruments.
- Discipline and self defense
Remember “act as a role model – be an example for your kid’s”. If you are physically active then it is what your kids will try to emulate. Teach them about the positive benefits of exercise.
According with kidshealth.org, to prevent being overweight kids and teenagers should:
- Eat a variety of foods, especially fruits and vegetables!
- Drink mainly water and milk! Sometimes 100% juicy is ok, but avoid sugary drinks like sodas and fruit punches. They contain a lot of added sugar.
- Be Active! Current guidelines recommend that kids over 2 years of age get at least 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity on most, preferably all, days of the week.
- Limit Screen Time! The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) currently recommends limiting the time kids over 2 years of age spend in front of a screen to no more than 1-2 hours. The AAP also discourages any screen time for children younger than 2 years.
We suggest that kids should be encouraged to practice sports and to do outdoors activities that can help them to achieve a healthy body! They should participate in more active chores like helping around the house, gardening, and activities that suggest movement.
This information was provided, in part by KidsHealth, one of the largest resources online for medically reviewed health information written for parents, kids, and teens.